A delightfully spicy chipotle complements the rich creamy nature of California oysters. Pair with California Chardonnay or Pinot Gris.
- 10 chipotle peppers*, seeds and stems removed
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) red wine vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) salt
- 2 cups (480 ml) water
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) heavy cream or sour cream
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh lime juice or lemon juice
- 24 fresh oysters in the shell
- *Chipotle is a smoke-dried jalapeño. We recommend wearing gloves when handling these peppers.
serves six as an appetizer
- For the chipotle cream:
- Place peppers, vinegar, garlic, sugar, salt and water in a medium saucepan.
- Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 1 hour.
- Remove from heat and let cool. Purée in a blender or food processor.
- In a small bowl, mix the heavy cream, lime juice and 1/2 cup (120 ml) of the chipotle purée. Set aside.
- For the oysters:
- Preheat grill to 375 F (190 C).
- Open the oysters with a shucking knife or screwdriver and discard the top shells.
- Place the oysters, in their shells, on the grill and cook for 5 to 7 minutes until they begin to sizzle.
- Transfer to a platter and top each oyster with a dollop of chipotle cream. Serve hot.